Earlier this month, we bought a new turner, we usually call it a spatula. Our old one was getting worn around the edges. We were both pretty sure we bought the old one at Dollar Tree, and it’s lasted quite a while, so we went back to Dollar Tree for a new one.
Boy, was that a mistake!
He said he lifted the spatula and he could see it bubbling and dripping!
This is a hazardous product to use in the kitchen!
Later, I’m going through the trash and see if I can find the receipt and/or the tag that we cut off the turner when we brought it home.
For now, I have notified Dollar Tree through the contact form on their website. I uploaded all my photos to Flickr and included the link on the contact form.
Maybe it’s a fluke, but this product needs to be carefully reviewed and a recall considered. The tool only cost us a dollar, but we don’t feel safe eating the bacon that it melted on, and that stuff’s not cheap. What if it’s been leaching toxins into our food every time we’ve used it? What if we’d been flipping something really expensive like steak?
I hate that most products at Dollar Tree are made in China, and I don’t expect much out of them, but I do expect to be safe when using them. We have seen many cases of Chinese products recalled because they were made without the usual safety considerations. I think this turner self-destructing is another example of that.
No more Dollar Tree for me!